Sunday, June 1, 2008

Beat L.A.! Beat L.A.!

It's been a long, bumpy road, but in the end we're getting what we want: Celtics vs. Lakers in the NBA Finals!

It could have been a disastrous summer for me, leaving Boston for an underdeveloped Central American country while the Celtics are making a run for Banner #17. But thankfully, Belize is a basketball-crazed nation, and I have had little trouble finding a place to watch the game or knowledgeable local fans to exchange banter and trash talk with.

Of course I'm excited to see my boys back in the finals for the first time in over twenty years. And I'm excited for all my friends and former neighbors back in Boston who are watching another local team playing for a championship. But I'm happiest of all for Paul Pierce. I've watched Pierce play his entire career for mostly terrible Celtics teams. There are few professional athletes who play with as much intensity, emotion, and passion as Pierce. He has his flaws: he loses focus when things don't go his way, he doesn't carry himself like a true leader, and sometimes he'll drive you nuts by trying to be the hero instead of a good teammate. But he is a tremendous basketball player nonetheless, and all he's ever wanted to do is win a title as a Celtic. You could see it in his face after Game 6 in Detroit. In the days of the millionaire mercenary pro athletes, Pierce's candid passion for his sport is refreshing and inspiring. Let's hope he can lead the Green back to another title!

1 comment:

Stephen and Susan Ristau said...

Your hero Paul Pierce did his thing last night, Karl...even pulling a "Willis Reed" early in the series (I know, I'm dating myself but your father knows what I am talking about.)

I am heading back to Boston for two Red Sox games with the boys later this month and guess what, the first one is the day after game 7 in Boston if it goes that far...not bad planning!

I like our chances...