Saturday, May 3, 2008

L.A. Redemption


I guess I sort of owe L.A. an apology. I talked a lot of shit about the city earlier in the week, but after a few great days of chilling with my friends and soaking up the sun I've actually come to like it quite a bit. Yes, the air quality sucks. Yes, you will spend 45% of your time here stuck in traffic. And yes, the laid back approach to things like customer service or driving can make a New Englander's blood boil. But it is a very unique, interesting, and fun place with so much to offer a curious traveler. I'm glad I've had a chance to spend some quality time here.

I've had a good couple days hanging out with my boys Matt and Pat. Highlights for me included golfing in the hills of Burbank, chilling at The Derby and Dresden (two bars featured in the movie Swingers), and crab enchiladas at a chic restaurant called The Lobster overlooking the gorgeous beach at Santa Monica. It hasn't hurt either that I signed and mailed my offer letter for my new job at Jive Software in Portland. It's been a good week.

Now we're at a hotel in Hermosa Beach, relaxing and preparing for the most significant part of our trip. We've got an early morning flight to Belize tomorrow. I am extremely excited, and anxious to begin our volunteering experience. I haven't formed a very clear expectation of what our lives will be like for the next three months; rather I'm just trying to keep an open mind and remain conscious of all that we will experience. I don't know if I would describe myself as nervous, but there are definitely butterflies!

3 comments:

Blogger said...

Karl - welcome aboard with Jive. Saw your blog post come over the transom just now. Exciting times up here. I'm on the marketing team; what will you be doing? Good luck in Belize in the meantime...

Unknown said...

Congrats Karl...In honor of your new gig:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-xHPU6NulM

Karl Hassan Cyr said...

Hi fellas,

Thanks for checking out the blog! I will be joining Kevin Williams' team as a Java engineer. I am very excited to join the Jive team and looking forward to getting started in September!